Sunday, August 16, 2015

Go For the Gold!


It's Sunday, and that means it's a rest day for me.  I'm thankful for the rest, but at the same time feel restless.  I've finally set my sites on something big (you know, that goal that gives you goose bumps).  And now, it's time to share that goal and how I plan to get there (although the journey started years ago).  The goal:
  • Win Gold for the USA in international competition
For me, that means I'll have to qualify, get to, compete in, and do well in one or both of the following:
  • Pan Am Masters
  • World Masters Cup
Current qualifying total is 200 Kg.  My best meet total to date is 241 Kg (106/135).  Okay.  There's that.

Best lifts to date are 112/135, which would give me a 247 total, tying what the winner of this year's Pan-Am Games got.  So, I can qualify and I can compete with an American field, but these events likely won't be hosted in the US in 2016 (they were in 2015).

In 2014, when the World Masters Cup was hosted in Denmark, the top 3 were:

  1. Sergio Britva of ISR with a               125 Kg Snatch and a 145 Kg C&J = 270 Kg Total
  2. Ryan Bader of the USA with a          121 Kg Snatch and a 145 Kg C&J = 266 Kg Total
  3. Stefano Guidi of SMR with a            112 Kg Snatch and a 141 Kg C&J = 253 Kg Total
So, my first goal is to increase my snatch by at least 1 Kg and my C&J by 6 Kg to catch #3, Stefano Guidi.  

The plan:
  1. Keep training 5 days a week
  2. Attend 3/4 of the following comps:



The idea is to take down Stefano at Elmira and beat Ryan at Spartakiad.  I don't expect a 4 kilo jump in my snatch in 1 week for the Nutmeg.  But, I might try anyway!

Here's yesterday's training:  

2 comments:

  1. Brett,

    You write well! Your lofty goals show your courage, passion, and determination. Keep posting and keep inspiring. I will be forwarding your words of wisdom to my friends.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete